Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Monday, 10/8 Memory Cove, Lincoln National Park to Fisherman's Cove, Lincoln NP


Surf, stars and lizards
      Cereal and coffee for breakfast, then we took a stroll on the sandy cove before heading out for our drive to explore the coastline of the wilderness area. 


     We passed through an open grassy area populated by kangaroos and emus. We want to get a video of the emus running, their feathers bounce as they stride, looking more like long fur. We stopped the LC so I could get out and scare one into flight, but he didn't turn and run as I approached him, but rather started stalking me. I could only imagine the blog posting headline, Emu disemboweling Kevin, so I backed off and rather smartly made my way back to the car.
Kangaroos and emus playing in the sun

     At Cape Tournefort we walked over the dune and out to the big sweeping cove washed by the booming surf. Stripping down to skivvies we waded and shell collected and enjoyed the loneliness of the long beach.



    We drove to a few more overlooks and hiked, watchful for snakes and murderous emus, and getting a good close look at this guy.
Two-headed lizard
         Driving a little further along, we saw this;
One-headed lizard
     We ended the day taking a short but steep hike up Stamford Hill to get a good view of Boston Harbor and Port Lincoln.

At the top of Stamford Hill
     We got a camp spot on the edge of a bluff above Fisherman's Cove, birdwatched, and fried up our previously frozen Southern Whiting filets – they weren't very good.


3 comments:

  1. Super jealous of all your animal sightings! Even that one-headed lizard looks kind of interesting...though I think you misidentified it, I believe it is a bearded lizard. -KDB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found out the name of the two-headed lizard, it's called a Shingleback Lizard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you look great in those pictures! And I see you finally picked up a proper Aussie hat.

    ReplyDelete