Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Friday, 10/5 Hancock Overlook to Point Gibson Campground


Today is Kristy's Birthday!


We love you sweetie, and we're looking forward to seeing you!
Sunrise with no loos, breakfast with politics, a fishing village with no fish

      Dawn at Hancock Overlook was nearly as beautiful as sunset.
Fog bank over Spencer Gulf
   
Unfortunately there weren't any toilets there, and the sheep fence was close enough to the camping area that there weren't any hidden spots out of sight of the other three campers there.

Camping, the Aussie way
      So we decided to drive into Port Augusta for breakfast. We had coffee with bread and jam at the harbor park next to the old wharf, and ended up talking to an Aussie retired couple for a couple hours. I've been looking forward to being away from the US this election season, and have barely followed what is going on at home except for a quick, occasional scan on the internet. But the Australians are very interested in the election and world politics in general and it's hard to let the subject lie.

      We drove to Cowell looking for fresh fish for dinner, but they're more renown for their oysters, which I don't know what to do with, so a I bought some lamb chops on sale instead. We had a 45 minute drive to a campsite on the ocean, where I cooked the chops with sweet potatoes, garlic, onions and potatoes for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Aw thanks guys! I'm FINALLY catching up with your blog, at a hotel in Livingston Montana, ready to start a week of forestry research!

    I'm glad some of my family members remembered my birthday, one at least did not. Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking about me? I remembered it earlier in the week. I just was busy on your birthday. shh(don't worry I know who you were referring to).-KDB

      Delete