Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Saturday, 9/8


Fun in the library

     After breakfast we headed back to the library for more internet time. As usual, internet wasn't working too well. And in trying to not be lazy I went to the stairway to go down to see how Diana was doing on the library computer, not realizing it was a fire route, not to be used by the general elevator going public. When I got to the door of the next level down it was locked. I went back up to the doors of the next three levels and each was also locked. No windows, no security cameras, thick steel doors, I was becoming convinced that I would be spending a good portion of our trip down under lost in the stairwell. Not really panicking, but working up a little sweat and imagining making a fool of myself by pounding on a door until someone came to rescue me I went all the way to the bottom level and breathed a sigh of relief when I pulled it open.

Sydney subways are expensive and we are skinflints

     We stayed a little longer to research where we could find a bank open on Saturday to cash some traveler's checks so we could buy a car that weekend if we found one. While there are a few in the suburbs with Saturday hours, the only one in Sidney was a bank in Chinatown, over a mile away. With about a half hour to closing so we decided to take the subway.
     But when we found out that the tickets for the short trip would be $3.40 each we headed back to the street and quick walked there. Sweating and panting we got there about eight minutes before closing, cashed the checks and stuffed the loot into our money belts.
      We had a nice casual stroll back to the hostel, spending some sobering time at the ANZAC war memorial set in a beautiful park downtown and using our new phone to call a couple car dealers out in the western suburbs.
     We got back to Kings Cross, bought some more wine, reheated the leftover rooganoff, and were in bed by 8. I got up around 2 AM and went down to the common room to work on the blog. I overheard two well oiled guys in the other room talking about life, one slurring at random times “F***ing Scottish, the scum of the earth”. I'm pretty sure he was a Scotsman himself. He had the character of someone who would have been picked last at Dodge Ball in grade school. (I myself was usually chosen well in the middle of the pecking order, not for my cannon arm or my Johnny Bench-like catching ability but rather my willingness to run back and forth near the front like a crazy man and actually trying to dodge the balls and usually taking one for the team).
     Talking about jobs good and bad he said, “You know, I've tried manual labor, but it's hard. It's better to find a job that is knowledge based. You know, I had a job once and I came in one morning hungover only to find out I had been fired. I never found out why. But now, I try to work really hard so I don't get fired again.” Go figure.


5 comments:

  1. How dare you talk about people who were picked last in dodge ball like that! I take offense!-KDB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correlation between those picked last in dodge ball and those who comment on this post = so far, very high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily for me, gym class in middle school was arranged so that all the band and orchestra kids were in the same class. And being a soccer player, people thought I was athletic. Too bad for them I liked to get hit because that meant I didn't have to possibly get hit later when I was one of the last ones and the pressure was on because I sure as heck wasn't going to throw or catch the ball...soccer remember?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gym class was the same way for me too, but only in seventh and eighth grade. In sixth grade we just had it with our class. And I had this one boy in my class who I think was held back a year, and was HUGE! Technically I was very good at "dodge" ball. I did not want to be hit because it would have hurt. The problem was then that I was the last one left and everyone wanted me to catch the ball. But I kept dodging. The class was kept in a kind of standstill. And there was little ol' me dodging balls, and hating life. At least one time that I can remember the other team resorted to throwing easy balls so I would catch one. I hated the insult, but I could only handle so much attention from my classmates. I caught the ball, and let the hate ooze out of me as my teammates congratulated me. Looking back now I blame my gym teacher for having up play dodge ball so often. There are loads of better things we could have been doing with our time.-KDB

      Delete