Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tuesday, April 9 - Back in Auckland

      There's a dealer in town that specializes in selling vans to backpackers.  We had texted him a couple days earlier and asked if he'd be willing to take a look at our van and make us an offer.  He said sure, bring it in.  So on Tuesday we found our way to his place, but he wasn't around at the time and we were told to return later.
     We drove up to the huge Auckland Museum and took a look.
I have to admit to being nearly museumed out.  A couple months ago I could
have spent four hours looking around.  But with the anxiety of selling the van
and the excitement of getting home, I did a mostly cursory walk-through.  These
'steam punk' string instruments did catch my eye, however.
     When we left the building to go to lunch I realized that my cap had fallen out of my pocket somewhere within the cavernous building.  No big deal, really.  Just another episode of Lost and Found.  But some of you know how I feel about my caps, and it did bum me out.  We walked (in the very bright sun) to a fish and chips joint and had a nice lunch.  Then we walked back to the museum to see if anyone had turned in my hat.  Turns out, five minutes after we left it was indeed turned in to the office, and the woman there even remembered me. (There are advantages to having one of the biggest beards in NZ).  So, reunited with my cap, I was  happier, and we headed back to the dealership to see if he was there.
      The guy was there, and came out to take a look and a spin.  The Townace performed well, and after all our scrubbing and polishing, looked pretty good.  But he only offered us $1250.  I certainly understand the reasons, his parking lot is already packed with old cars and vans.  But still, it was disappointing.
     Now, we only had three days until our departure. It was beginning to be crunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment